Following on from last week’s top summer smoothies we’ve decided to spice things up with our favourite cocktails for summer entertaining to really impress your guests and get your party started!
1. The Firecracker
Starting things off with a bang we have the firecracker, a refreshing cocktail of cucumber, watermelon and lime perfect to sip by the pool.
Source: Creative Culinary
- ½ cup cucumber or regular vodka
- 4 cubes of seedless watermelon
- 2 limes, diced
- ¼ cup simple syrup (boil ¼ cup water and sugar just until sugar dissolves. Add ¼ cup ice to cool – refrigerate leftovers)
- A Lime Rim (equal amounts salt and sugar combined with some fresh grated lime)
- 2 watermelon slices
- 2 cucumber slices
- 2 small mint sprigs
- Combine vodka, watermelon and lime in a cocktail shaker. Muddle all ingredients well. Add simple syrup, fill with ice, cover and shake until ice cold.
- Rim the glasses with a cut lime and dip in the lime rim mixture.
- Fill the glasses with ice and pour the ingredients from the shaker into the glasses.
- Garnish with a watermelon slice, a cucumber slice and a spring of mint.
2. Pineapple-Tequila Cooler
Add some spice to the sweetness with this pineapple and jalapeno cocktail.
Source: Country Living
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 small pineapple
- ¼ small jalapeño
- ¾ cup añejo tequila
- ¾ cup blanco tequila
- Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- 8 cups crushed Ice
- Peel of 1 lime
- In a small pot over medium-high heat, bring 3/4 cup water and sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- In a large pitcher, mash pineapple and jalapeño into a puree with a wooden spoon. Stir in tequilas, reserved simple syrup, and lime juice.
- Fill each glass with 1 cup crushed ice, then pour in cocktail. Rub each rim with a lime twist, then add to cocktail as a garnish.
3. Strawberry & Basil Margaritas
Perfect for entertaining, this pitcher is best prepared the day before.
Source: the kitchn
- 1 ½ cups lime cordial
- 10 strawberries, hulled and sliced lengthwise
- 8 basil leaves
- 2 to 2 ½ cups tequila
- Mix the lime cordial, tequila and 2 1/2 cups of water in a pitcher.
- Slightly crush the basil leaves and add them and the strawberries to the pitcher.
- Cover and leave in the fridge for at least four hours or overnight.
4. Ginger & Peach Soda
For a fresh hit this peach and ginger soda is ideal for a lazy afternoon.
Source: Country Living
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 2 very ripe peaches
- 2 L soda water
- 16 fresh mint leaves
- Rum of choice
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring 1 cup water, sugar, and ginger to a gentle simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove simple syrup from heat, cover, and steep for about 30 minutes.
- Over a medium bowl, pour syrup through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing minced ginger against sieve with the back of a spoon to extract flavor. Discard ginger. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Evenly distribute peach slices among 8 tall glasses. For each glass, lightly press peaches with the back of a wooden spoon to release their juice. Pour about 2 tablespoons chilled syrup over peaches (Remaining syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks). Add ice cubes, a splash of rum and top with soda water and a garnish of mint.
Enjoy and let us know which is your favourite!